On Apr 13, 2004, at 4:52 PM, Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:

I guess I'm confused about why some E_ERRORs are now able to be handled in userland, but only by using exceptions.

It's important to note that this is now technically feasible but not (yet) part of PHP. (You can actually do it as an extension though. :)

If these types of
errors are now recoverable, shouldn't we let the programmer decide how
they want to handle them?

You could, but you'ld break existing scripts that rely on E_ERROR being fatal in PHP4-ish code. Since exceptions don't exist in PHP4, using them to avoid previously fatal errors doesn't alter any existing behavior.

George