On Apr 24, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, George Schlossnagle wrote:

Well, I disagree that this is anything like a realpath(). If your PEAR
directory is the first thing in the include_path (as in get rid of "."
from it) then this is a single stat call on any PEAR include regardless of
how deep your directory structure is. Compared to realpath where
including XML_RSS/RSS.php from a PEAR path of /usr/local/php/pear would be
6 stats.

We can't avoid a single stat per file, and on include_path includes we
can't avoid a single stat per attempted include_path component.  The
single stats don't worry me very much and we could reduce this with an
intelligent request-spanning stat cache system.

I won't argue with that, assuming the caveat that you structure your include_path well.

George