This behavior is mostly likely a result of the changes to the included system libraries in 10.3. The truth to the matter is now dlcompat is distributed with OS X (as of 10.3) so most of the library handling code Marko and I wrote probably is no longer necessary for future generations of OS X (please note this is untested). It is necessary though for those running 10.2 (and earlier), and there do seem to be a great many of them still.

Looking at your change though, I don't believe it should cause much damage.