I think I just smoked something illegal before posting that question. The brain damage seems to be gone, sorry for the spam. It just did made sense at that moment.

Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote:
dharana wrote:

I know I can just cast to int, but is it ok to return an string for
things that can only be numbers?

The date() and strftime() functions are expected to always return
strings, no matter what the format string looks like.
The same holds true for sprintf(), you wouldn't expect

  sprintf("%d", 42)

to return an int, would you?

-- Juan Alonso

This message represents the official view of the voices in my head