The problem is linkage; for some reason, someone (in group@ ?) decided that
they didn't want to link the php core to openssl in the windows builds, and in
php 4.3 you can't use ssl:// or https:// unless it is statically linked.

PHP 5 can handle this dynamically.

Search the bug db; this has been reported multiple times, is documented in the
manual (IIRC) and won't be fixed in 4.3

--Wez.