Mehdi Achour wrote:

> This is now [1] a fixed documentation bug :)
> I didn't find anything about it in the ChangeLog, nor bugs.php.net,
> so I didn't include any version information in the docs.
> Drop a mail to the documentation list if you figure it out ;)
>
> didou
>
> [1] -

http://cvs.php.net/diff.php/phpdoc/en/reference/array/functions/array.xml?r1=1.11&r2=1.12&ty=u

There's an old bug report for this under bug #550. The whole idea of the
trailing comma is to allow you to easily generate code that's suitable to
pass through eval() or pass from var_export() to create a new array. It's a
pretty old feature, as the date of the bug report would show. Not sure the
version it appeared in, though.