Hello George,

Monday, July 12, 2004, 6:36:22 PM, you wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2004, at 11:37 AM, Marcus Boerger wrote:

>> Hello Derick,
>>
>> Monday, July 12, 2004, 11:21:06 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed, and I also like default()
>>
>> The problem with default() is that there will be tons of scripts out
>> there
>> that will be broken by this. Hence i'd like to see a more non intuitive
>> name (like the ifsetor). Probably getvalue() was the best compromise so
>> far.

> what was wrong with nvl() (of oracle fame)?

In oracle it means Null-VaLue replacement. But we are providing a default
in case a variable is not set. But anyway from my side this would give a
good name, too (for No-VaLue) in the same manner coalesce would work for
the other behavior mentioned in this thread.

Best regards,
 Marcus                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]