On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 00:02, tyson andre <tysonandre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> - Due to the absence of function autoloading (not supported in php to
> performance overhead), functions outside the global scope are rare in
> practice.

If this is a valid justification, perhaps we should do the opposite of the
"deprecate fallback to global scope" RFC you mentioned, and make the "use
function *" behaviour the default in some future version. That would
provide us longer term benefits, such as being able to introduce function
autoloading.

An opt-in mechanism is certainly easier to migrate to, but it would be a
shame if every PHP file in 10 years time included a line like this:

use function *; // don't know what this does, but apparently it's good for
performance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins