From: Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:06 PM
To: mdole...@noctuint.cz
Cc: PHP internals <internals@lists.php.net>
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] zend_call_method with arguments passed by reference

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 3:59 PM mdolezal.noctuint.cz via internals <
internals@lists.php.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the appropriate mailing list, please redirect me to
> better please if required.
>

> I am currently rewriting our PHP extension from PHP5 to PHP7.
>
> To call PHP methods from our C/C++ code we use slightly modified
> zend_call_method from Zend/zend_interfaces.c (to use more arguments
> than 2).
>

> Now I found out that it does not work with arguments passed by
> reference, such as:
>
> public function FuncWithRef(array &$changeThis)
>

> if values are changed in the PHP code then zval values back in C part
> after zend_call_function call are not influenced.
>
> With PHP5 the value was overwritten and could be used later in C code.
>
> Previously the zend_fcall_info struct for function call was filled
> with params simply by
>

> params[0] = &arg1;
>

> In PHP7 this is changed to
>

> ZVAL_COPY_VALUE(&params[0], arg1);
>

> After function is executed (zend_call_function) both fci.params and
> arg1 contain still the original zval values,
>
> changes made in PHP code are not available. Is there any way how to
> solve this?
>
> I am mainly searching for and comparing code snippets in PHP/ext
> folder to see how things were rewritten from PHP5 to PHP7.
>
> Sorry if I missed something obvious and thank you for your help.

It looks like the implementation of zend_call_method() does not support this,
as it does not copy parameters back after the call. I'd suggest to use the
lower level zend_call_function() for the cases where you need this for now.

Nikita