> On Jan 8, 2020, at 05:42, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi internals,
>
> I would like to propose the following RFC, which allows using "static" as a
> return type:
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/static_return_type
>
> While I'm personally not a fan of late static binding, we do support it and
> people do use it quite heavily, so I think we should also support it in
> return types.
>
> Regards,
> Nikita

Yes, please!

> For the fluent method example above, many projects will use a @return $this
> annotation, rather than @return static.

In my own code, I usually use `self` to mean “return the same instance.” While
I know that, in practice, the use of `self` is identical to using the class
name as the return type, it seems natural to designate as practice (among my
team) that `self` always means itself and should never refer to an instance
with different identity.

-Ben