On 15/02/2020 18:21, Mark Randall wrote:
I'm not so sure...

That incrementing a null works at all is a painful part of the language spec that I would argue needs flushing down the toilet, rather than further reinforcing.

The problem then is, where do you stop? There are dozens of places where null values are coerced to the correct type, and changing them all would be a huge BC break.

I think it would be perfectly fine to fix the current bug - that it's completely inconsistent in leaving the variable unchanged - even if we later decide to deprecate the whole thing.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]