Den 2020-05-11 kl. 11:16, skrev Nikita Popov:
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:00 AM Björn Larsson <bjorn.x.lars...@telia.com <mailto:bjorn.x.lars...@telia.com>> wrote:

    Den 2020-05-11 kl. 08:57, skrev Christoph M. Becker:

    > On 26.04.2020 at 15:28, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
    >
    >> I propose to unbundle ext/xmlrpc, and written a respective RFC:
    >>
    >> <https://wiki.php.net/rfc/unbundle_xmlprc>
    > Thanks for the feedback so far.  Unless there are further issues
    > regarding the RFC to be discussed, I'll open voting tomorrow.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christoph

    For sure it makes sense to unbundle it! However, I recall the
    discussion
    that was held around unbundling of ext/wddx that was about PECL
    becoming a graveyard for unmaintained extensions. Is any of that
    also applicable here, e.g. secondary voting option?

    - https://externals.io/message/103164#103209

To be clear, the secondary voting option you're suggesting is whether to deprecate the extension in PECL?

I believe the RFC already addresses the question, and I agree with the reasoning where. Unlike the move of wddx to PECL, which was partially made because we had specific security concerns with the extension, our primary concern here is maintenance. There does not seem to be a strong need to signal that people should stop using it ASAP. The extension (and more importantly, the underlying library) has been unmaintained for many years already and the move to PECL will not change things materially in that regard.

Nikita

That was exactly my concern, i.e. to deprecate it or not. I was
seeing deprecation also as a signal about quality, not just if
there was a security issue. OTOH, maybe that's obvious when
looking at the changelog in the future.

r//Björn L