Greetings, Internalians.

There has been much talk of the \PHP namespace of late, including one
unsuccessful RFC.  In the discussion, the pushback broke down into two main
camps:

* We should never namespace anything ever.
* We can namespace things but we need something more concrete than "RFCs can
namespace things if they feel like it."

I can't do much about the former, but the latter is a solvable problem.  To
that end, Mark Randall and I have put together a new RFC on the topic, based on
a fruitful discussion in Room 11 a few weeks ago to brainstorm what actual
guidelines should be for what goes where.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php_namespace_policy

This proposal provides guidance to short circuit future subjective
bikeshedding, while still leaving some wiggle room for case-by-case evaluation
as needed.  That makes it different from prior attempts that did not provide
clear guidance for future RFC authors.

The specific guidelines offered may or may not appeal to you; those are open to
discussion (within reason; we don't want to end up back in "do whatever" land
as we know that won't help), but the more important point is that clear
guidelines are provided.

Also of note, although it uses existing code to demonstrate where classes
*would* go under this plan it does not immediately move anything.  Those are
left for future RFCs that would have to stand or fall on their own merit.  It
also provides for a very long grace period for any such transitions to minimize
disruption.

The intent is to bring this proposal to a vote in time for 8.0's freeze one way
or another, even though it's unlikely to have any impact on 8.0 itself.  It's
still a convenient deadline.

*dons flame retardant suit*

--
  Larry Garfield