Hi Ilija,

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 18:54, Ilija Tovilo <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sprintf-style modifiers are an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if
> there would be a huge advantage over using number_format.
>
> [...]
>
> Escaping is a nice idea but I'm not sure we want to go that route.
> String interpolation is still a bad fit for many templating things...

The above reactions basically mirror my initial reaction to your initial
e-mail: an extended string interpolation feature sounds nice, but how does
it differ from string concatenation and function calls? That's why I
started thinking about additional features to bring in: I was trying to
think of the use cases this new syntax would be for, and what new things it
would make possible (or rather, easier).

If the proposal is to add a completely new string syntax, I feel like it
needs a stronger justification than being able to write $"Hello
#{Foo::bar()}\n" rather than "Hello " . Foo::bar() ."\n"

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]