On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 2:08 AM Peter Bowyer <phpmailingli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 08:59, Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did the namespaces ship sail forever? Can we just have those instead,
> > please?
> >

> To mix metaphors: it sailed, shot down in fiery flames.
>
> Unfortunately.
>
> Peter

If we add significantly more functions to the proposal (which makes it
riskier from a time investment standpoint), then I think the case for
a namespace makes sense. Nobody wants to add a namespace for one or
two things. If there are 10+ things it's a bit more convincing. This
is a case where having a proposed API and impl in PHP-land is probably
sufficient enough to make an RFC vote; the conversion to C can happen
if it passes.

Here is a sampling of functions from my own (private) iterable library:

  - all_values
  - any_value
  - no_value
  - one_value
  - to_iterator
  - filter_values
  - for_each_value
  - map_values
  - reduce_values
  - zip_values

The values suffix is because there are variants that work with more
than just the values. Being value-centric is great, but we must leave
design room for the rest for when they are needed.

Anyway, the key point I'm making is that I think a larger RFC has a
better shot of passing if we want to namespace it.