Am 01.12.20 um 18:24 schrieb Christoph M. Becker:
>> In PHP 7, this returns FALSE:
>>
>> php -r 'var_dump(is_file("ab\0c"));'
>>
>> In PHP 8, the same code throws a ValueException. Problem is now that
>> it's not possible to check upfront if the passed argument is a valid
>> path to avoid the exception being thrown.
>
> This is only about the NUL byte in the filename.  You can easily check
> for that yourself. :)

There may be other checks that will throw a ValueException. I'm not sure
how it's implemented in detail because the filestat.c file doesn't
thrown an exception at all:

https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/1e9db80d7264911fa4089cb7e4b3dc7f97b19c6e/ext/standard/filestat.c

Can you tell me how you would check for NULL bytes?

Best,

Norbert