On Mon, Dec 7, 2020, at 2:46 AM, Michał Marcin Brzuchalski wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>

> Thanks for taking the topic. I love it.
>
> Regarding the `::cases()` method on UnitEnum I guess it'd be more natural
> to cast enum into an array like:
>
> (array) Suit;
>
> but I realize it'd be harder to implement. The question is if it was even
> considered?
>
> Regarding the `::from()` method responsible for casting was a natural cast
> operator considered instead?
> For eg.
> $suit = (Suit) $record['suit'];
> Instead of:
> $suit = Suit::from($record['suit']);
>
> Cheers,
> Michał Marcin Brzuchalski

We didn't really get into explicit casting, since it's so rarely used in
conventional PHP code these days.  I'm not sure off hand if supporting
(Suit)"H" or (string)Suit::Hearts would be easy or hard.  That would be an
Ilija question.

Assuming it's feasible to do, what do people feel about supporting that?  IMO,
cases(), from(), and values() need to be kept no matter what as they're more
self documenting and can be passed around as callables.  So the question is
just whether we should also try to add casting as an alias to those operations.

--Larry Garfield