On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:12 AM Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I realise you can't speak for anyone else, but as a point of interest,
> would you be OK with a polyfill having a requirement on ext/mbstring or
> ext/iconv, or would you have a strong preference for a replacement built
> into the core (i.e. guaranteed available without any optional packages)?

Can you clarify what *YOU* mean by a polyfill?  Because you're talking
about dependence on iconv/mbstring/icu which implies you want a polyfill
that does something other than what the original utf8_en/decode() functions
do, and those functions certainly do not need external dependencies.
They're really just not that complex.

-Sara