As requested, splitting off the short-functions RFC to its own thread.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/short-functions

true but also not the main point.  The main point is to allow and encourage
functions to be written an in "expression style", that is, as actual functions
and not procedures.  As the RFC notes, such use cases are increasing, and is
likely to increase in PHP, and that's overall a good thing for the language.
It fits well with a number of recent RFCs both passed and proposed, and makes
writing functional-style code much more natural.

PSR-12 may be unnecessarily verbose (I dislike PSR-12 myself, and have made no
secret of that), but it is far and away the most widely used coding standard in
PHP land so we cannot ignore its influence.

--
  Larry Garfield
  la...@garfieldtech.com