On Thu, May 6, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Sara Golemon wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 10:10 AM Michał Marcin Brzuchalski <
> michal.brzuchal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > czw., 6 maj 2021, 16:01 użytkownik Christoph M. Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de>
> > napisał:
> >
> > > I wonder what to do with the PHP Language Specification[1].  Apparently,
> > > the repo is abandoned (last commit was more than a year ago, although
> > > PHP 8 changed quite some stuff).  If we don't have the bandwidth to
> > > maintain it, we should mark it as unmaintained, and maybe some of the
> > > information could be moved to the PHP manual  (I quite like the strict
> > > syntax specification, which the manual almost completely lacks).
> > >

> > How much effort would it require?
> > Is there potentially someone who could help with reviews?
> >

> Which part? Getting it up to date and keeping it there? Or moving the parts
> we most care about to the manual then abandoning it?
>
> I'm actually fairly happy either way, but it does need some TLC.  Some
> brave soul to step up and yes, "YES! I WILL DEFEND THE LANGUAGE
> SPECIFICATION!"  Someone with the courage to do the dirty work.  WHO WILL
> STAND AND FIGHT?!*
>
> -Sara
>
> * I just got my second dose of the vaccine and evidently it's making me a
> bit goofy, but don't let that stop anyone from stepping up.  We all make
> PHP better together.

Having an independent specification is a good thing, but as you say it needs
people.  It also needs a commitment from the core dev process to include
updating it in the process.  That was always the missing link, IIRC.
Documentation already suffers from the same problem (updates for docs are left
for "someone else to do later" when an RFC is proposed), but at least there the
demand for Someone(tm) to Do Something(tm) is large enough and the barrier to
entry low enough that it mostly happens eventually, mostly.  Neither of those
is the case for the spec, which is why it just doesn't happen.

Is it going to be supported by people working on core?  Fantastic.  If not,
it's going to get and stay out of date and offer not enough value for anyone to
bother stepping up to pick up that slack.  (As we've seen.)

I agree it needs to be either promoted to euthanized, one or the other.

--Larry Garfield