On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 3:53 AM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose the depreciation of the ticks mechanism:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecate_ticks
>
> I'm submitting this separately from the PHP 8.1 deprecations RFC, as this
> is a language change, even if not a particularly important one...

I came here to plea for the poor, disrespected ticks function.
Then I went to github and asked who was using it...
In the 10,000 results which came up for that string in actual PHP code, I
paged through the first 20% (2000) cases.
They were ALL either a phpt test file, or an auto-generated proxy function
(which appears to not actually have any uses).

So yeah.  Pour one out for ol' ticks.  May it rest in peace (following a
suitable deprecation period leading up to PHP 9.0).

-Sara