Hello Craig,

Very well written RFC, good job!

Others have said it already, but here are my thoughts. Many moons ago,
I was on this way as well and the filter extension came out. As it
fits for some projects, the actual gains were very far, to say the
least, from what I would have expected.

Since quite some time, and that thinking is intensified with the
support of native annotation, is that such a thing does not fit into
the core language(s). It will never be "trustable" 100%, which defeats
its main purpose or existance.

The large majority of apps or frameworks out there provide their own
interface to deal with external data input. Advanced ones like Symfony
can provide you an Entity where a parameter is the ID of that entity,
handling all safety checks. Others will provide a Request
implementation with getters as specific types, etc. This allows it to
be tightly linked to the actual usage or logic. It is impossible to
even agree on such an interface in the core.

As well intended as it looks, I think input data filtering is better
implemented in userland. And we may keep ourselves from reintroducing
trusted or safe mode, no matter where. I hope I don't sound too
negative, I am really convinced this is a bad idea and introducing it
again in 8.x will hunt the core for a decade to  come. :)

Best,

--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org