On Thu, Jul 22, 2021, 04:18 Tobias Nyholm <tobias.nyh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note to self:
> Adding “Re: “ before the title does not work.
>
> =)
>
> https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/115546 <
> https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/115546>
>
> // Tobias

Hi Tobias,

It depends on the tool used to read the thread.
I can tell you that Gmail managed to include your reply in the original
thread.
Maybe other email clients also managed to do it by Subject matching but
that's not the standard.

So, https://news-web.php.net/php.internals and https://externals.io didn't.
The matching logic for externals.io can be found here and it mostly the
same as the other email thread detection implementation:
https://github.com/mnapoli/externals/blob/486eb208f36d1c2a46d6691dfe2e2b48cebab7ee/src/EmailSynchronizer.php#L137

Specifically, for linking to the original thread check the "References"
header and the "In-Reply-To" header.
If you use an email client that let you manually edit the fields, the only
thing to do is to find the values to put there.
That can be done with the view source link on externals.io and looking up
on the "Message-ID" header.

I guess you can give it a try and reply to my message here. I would have
like to test this now as well but I'm on mobile for the rest of the week
and tools for this operation are not that mobile friendly.

Regards,
Alex