Yes you are right. The same thing happens if you put a function there.
```
function hi(): string
{
    return ‘World’;
}

echo <<<MSG
    Hello ${hi()}
MSG;
// Warning: Undefined variable $World!
```

For some reason, I did not take this case into account.

Although it seems to me such semantics are old and require removal from the
language, I admit that there is code that uses it and changing the behavior
will break a lot. Ideally, I would like to see a similar behavior:
```
echo "Hello ${ $var }"; // Hello World
echo "Hello ${ 'Wo' . 'rld' }"; // same
echo "Foo ${ some_foo(42) }";
echo "Foo ${ 23 + 42 }";
echo "Some ${ ClassName::method() >> 2 ?? $any }";
// etc
```

--
Kirill Nesmeyanov