On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 09:47, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

Derick wrote:
> I think it is a mistake to decide on a whim to move over to GitHub
> issues without having evaluated anything else.

Maybe avoid being insulting about other people's decision making
process? I'm pretty sure that Nikita doesn't make that many decisions
on a whim, and that he has spent quite a bit of time over the past
couple of weeks/months figuring out how it would work, and getting a
test repo setup with the new issue templates.

And I also believe he has spent signification time evaluating
alternatives, but they all come up across the same problem listed in
the RFC:

"The requirement for an alternative would be that a) it is hosted
(i.e. the PHP project does not need to maintain infrastructure for
it), b) has good GitHub integration and c) is “sufficiently better”
than GitHub issues to make it worth using a separate product."

I don't think the vendor lock-in concern is that great. If Microsoft
actually starts acting evil again, to the extent that we need to stop
using Github for either code or issues, then we would be able to move
again. The lock-in on github doesn't appear to be worse than
bugs.php.net. In fact, it's far more likely that anything we would
move to is going to have an "import from github" button, than anything
having an "import from bugs.php.net" button.

> This jump to GitHub Issues feels rushed,

The topic has been discussed for at least 6 months:
https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/114330

That seems like quite a bit of time for people who would prefer to
avoid github to evaluate the alternatives and write out a plan.

cheers
Dan
Ack