On 22/12/2021 10:45, Andreas Heigl wrote:
I just dug a bit deeper on the subject and found this RFC from 2016:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/remove_utf_8_decode_encode

Perhaps we can just revive that one!

As I say, I have a draft with lots more detail in, which I will tidy up after Christmas. I deliberately didn't link to it, because I want to re-read it myself before letting other people comment on it, and don't have the time right now.

My current inclination is to deprecate in 8.next, and remove in 9.0, but I want to make sure the argument for that is solid before putting it to a vote.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]