On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 5:40 PM Tobias Nyholm <tobias.nyh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2022, 23:27 Ilija Tovilo, <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I'd like to start discussion on a new RFC for arbitrary string
>> interpolation.
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/arbitrary_string_interpolation
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> That is a cool idea.
> But I am not a big fan of having code in strings.
> Wouldn’t this open the door to all kinds of new attacks?

Do you have an example of a new kind of attack this would allow?
The proposal doesn't enable interpolation of strings coming from
a database or user input - it only applies to string literals
directly in PHP code.

Personally I'm really looking forward to having this functionality.
Just a couple days ago I wanted to call a function in an interpolated
string, and it was really annoying to have to wrap the function in a
closure in order to use it.

If this RFC is accepted I'd be able to replace code like this:

    $name = "Theodore Brown";
    $strlen = fn(string $string): int => strlen($string);
    echo "{$name} has a length of {$strlen($name)}.";

with

    $name = "Theodore Brown";
    echo "{$name} has a length of {$:strlen($name)}.";

Sincerely,

Theodore