On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 6/17/22 18:06, Guilliam Xavier wrote:
> >>     https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/8819
> >
> > Just so that it can't be said that it hasn't been asked: what about
> > iterator_count(), and iterator_apply()?
>
> I also came across those, while implementing the PR, but I intentionally
> did not touch them to keep the scope simple and because I think they are
> less likely to be used generally.

Okay :)

> - `iterator_apply()` is easily replaced by a foreach loop, because the
> return value is pretty useless, so it is not likely that a nested
> function call is going to be used.

Well the same could be said about `array_walk()`... but anyway :p

> - For `iterator_count()` one could to `count(iterator_to_array($foo))`
> if my proposal is merged. This come with a bit of overhead, but at least
> it's not as clunky as `is_array($foo) ? $foo : iterator_to_array($foo)`

or as `is_array($foo) ? count($foo) : iterator_count($foo)`, for that matter ;)

> If a RFC is desired, then I'd likely include all three of them with a
> vote for each, but I hope my proposal is simple enough to not require an
> RFC.

Well I won't be the one asking for an RFC ^^ (and you're right that
the `array_*` functions are far more numerous and [at least in my
experience] used than the `iterator_*` ones)

--
Guilliam Xavier