On 01/07/2022 15:04, Larry Garfield wrote:
Greetings, Internalians.

The vote for auto-capture closures is now open.  It will run until 15 July.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/auto-capture-closure

I have voted No, because although I am more-or-less convinced that auto-capture is a useful feature, I don't think this is the right syntax for it.

- Having "fn" and "function" mean almost the same thing, but with such an important difference, feels like a WTF waiting to happen.

- The RFC seems to take for granted that shorter syntax is better, calling explicit syntax "noise"; but in that case PHP contains a lot of "noise", and I'm not convinced that removing it would be a good thing.

- This emphasis also implies that auto-capture is a near-universal improvement over explicit capture, rather than an alternative on equal footing: it is the version that deserves the very best syntax possible. I remain unconvinced by this.

- Unlike other languages, PHP normally relies on opting into scope imports (global, $this->, etc), so lacks a mechanism to opt out and declare a variable as local (var, let, etc). The proposed syntax offers neither opt-in nor opt-out, relying on the implementation to do the right thing automatically ... most of the time.

To re-iterate, I am not opposed to the feature in principle, but would have loved to see a more open exploration of different syntax options.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]