>1. Are there any reasonable objections to consistently implementing
character range expressions for all character masks?

would be a minor BC break to silently change the meaning of memspn($str,
"a..b"), which currently has the same meaning as "a.b" with wasted cpu
cycles, but with your suggestion it would become the same meaning as "ab"
and the dot would no longer pass the check..
But then again, currently writing ".." is just a waste of cpu, and i don't
think i've actually ever seen anyone do that in the wild
¯\_(ツ)_/¯