Hi

On 9/7/22 23:44, Larry Garfield wrote:
Either I guess?  Honestly we should decide that in advance on the list. :-)
E_WARNING+Exception in 9 is what I'd probably favor, with "Exception now" as a
second choice.

I'm a new-ish contributor here in internals, so I don't know how things were done in the past for similar situations/issues.

I'm not sure, though if it makes sense to already decide on something for PHP 9. If it's not baked into code shortly after the vote finishes, then people might forget that "there's something that still needs to be done". For a deprecation one can at least go through all the deprecations once PHP 9 opens, as a deprecation effectively is defined to be a removal in the next major. For a warning this is less obvious.

Personally my first choice would be "Straight to Exception", so I might not be the best person to decide on that :-)

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus