Hi Tim,

On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 17:59, Timmy Almroth <timmy.almr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone. I would like to announce that the RFC for "StreamWrapper
> Support for glob()" is now ready for Discussion.

The RFC has:
> Final patch will be produced ... if this RFC is approved.

I think that although the RFC discussion can go ahead without a patch,
it would be better to have a patch before it went to vote, as there
seem to be quite a few hidden details that might not be able to be
made to work.

The RFC has:

but as noted in the PR (https://github.com/php/php-src/issues/9224),
where cmb69 wrote:

> In some cases it just makes no sense (e.g. compress.zlib:// and data://), in
> some
> cases it is impossible (e.g. http://), and in some cases it still might be
> impractical (e.g. ftp://).

The exact details of edge cases probably need to be at least listed as
people (well at least myself) would view a lack of those details as a
reason to vote 'no', even if they thought the general idea was good.

The RFC probably also needs to make an argument of why something that
sounds like it would be a leaky abstraction should be in core (and so
generating more support requests) rather than people using the already
existing userland package
(https://packagist.org/packages/webmozart/glob) which currently has
over 10million installs.

cheers