On Thu, Oct 13, 2022, 22:37 Joshua Rüsweg via internals <
internals@lists.php.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tim Düsterhus and I have created an RFC to add new methods that solve
> commonly encountered use cases to \Random\Randomizer. Specifically
> creating a random string consisting of specific bytes and generating
> random floating point values.
>
> You can find the RFC at:
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/randomizer_additions
>
> Proof of concept implementation is in:
>
> * https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/9664
> * https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/9679
>

> Some open questions to start the discussion:
>
> * Are you missing other commonly useful operations that are also useful
> to have in core?

For completeness, it would be good to have nextBool() as well.

* Do you agree with the method names? Within the PR we received comments
> that "alphabet" might not be an appropriate term.

Yes, alphabet is fine by me but I can suggest also: character set,
character list, character dictionary, byte set, byte list, byte dictionary
or some shortcuts of it, like charset.

* Shall an option be added to getFloat() that changes the logic to
> select from [$min, $max] (i.e. allowing the maximum to be returned)? And
> how should that look like? Boolean parameter? Enum?

No, IMO. Mathematically it doesn't really make sense and talking about
floats, it will also be a very corner case not reached in tests that might
happen in production rarely and break things.