On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 at 15:08, Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:

> Hi
>
> This subthread really goes off-topic (I've renamed the Subject once more
> :-) ).

So on GMail and other clients using subject-based "conversation" grouping,
this is now a third thread; on clients using header-based "thread"
grouping, it is still in the original.

> I actually enjoy getting the second copy, because I can independently
> file emails that specifically target me into a separate folder.

This feels like something the mail client should be handling, not the
sender - watch/star thread, ignore/mute thread, filter by threads you've
participated in, etc

You certainly won't get such copies from me, except by mistake -
Thunderbird has "Reply to list", and in GMail web and K-9 Mail I mimic it
by hitting "Reply all" then trimming to just the list address.

That's both the biggest strength and the biggest weakness of e-mail -
different clients can give users different views and workflows of exactly
the same content. On the one hand, that means you can find one that works
how you like (e.g. I straight-up hate GMail's web UI for long threads). But
on the other hand, you can't predict how your messages will interact with
someone else's UI and workflow.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins