On Thu, Jun 1, 2023, at 01:19, Boro Sitnikovski wrote:
> Thank you for the information and encouragement! I was a bit scared of this
> one being rejected too, but still decided to give it a shot :)

As an alternative approach this is what I would do in your situation:

I would start with a PHP implementation, gather some opinions on what this
method would do, how it should work. Finalising the functional specification to
a point where you find broad acceptance. This would also allow others to help
performance optimise your implementation.

Then start a PECL extension implementing the exact same thing in C code. This
could start as a niche for people that really need the extra performance the
extension would bring, possibly grow out to something that is defacto standaard.

PECL extensions are documented in the PHP manual, so the manual could have your
array_group() function described, possibly with a reference to the original PHP
implementation/ polyfill.

This approach minimises dependence on internals giving a green light and
maximises the possibility to work with others as a team on this. It would give
you a chance to prove that the solution you provide is actually wanted by
users. If that really is the case, if it came to vote to merging the extension
into PHP itself the vote could be different than the vote on the former RFC.

Greetings, Casper