On 6/24/23 21:39, Nikita Popov wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022, at 22:39, Christoph M. Becker wrote:

>>> I noticed that the php-src repo does enable private vulnerability reports
>>> now, and there is one sitting around without response at
>>> https://github.com/php/php-src/security/advisories/GHSA-54hq-v5wp-fqgv.
>>>
>>> Possibly this was enabled unintentionally / without coordination with the
>>> security team? That should probably either be disabled again, or someone
>>> needs to keep an eye on it.
>>
>> I had enabled that some weeks ago, since there has been a spam attack on
>> bugsnet, so we could test the new feature.  I probably should have
>> written to list right away, or at least have kept an eye on it, but I've
>> assumed to be notified about reported issues.
>>
>> I'll have a closer look at the rather verbose report tomorrow, if nobody
>> beats me to it.
>>
>> Generally, I'm in favor of keeping security reports on Github enabled;
>> we should stop user (not developer) comments on bugsnet as soon as
>> possible; there is already more spam than useful comments for quite a
>> while, and I think Github offers better feature to handle that.
>>
>> Regarding the access rights on security advisories: currently only php
>> owners[1] may see and collaborate there.  To my knowledge, most of those
>> who are subscribed to the security mailing list are already in that
>> group, but if need be, others might be added, or maybe it's preferable
>> to create a new team for this.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Security bug reports on GitHub have been active for a while now, with about
> 10 reports having been processed.
>
> I wanted to check back whether security folks are happy with the process, and
> whether it is time to make this the official channel for security reports,
> which would allow us to disable issue creation on bugs.php.net entirely. (I
> saw that the reports are 90% spam at this point.)
>
> Regards,
> Nikita

FWIW, if you press the "new issue" button on GitHub you get to this page:
https://github.com/php/php-src/issues/new/choose
If you choose the last option "Security Issue" you still get redirected to the
bugs.php.net bugtracker.
Interestingly, there's also a "Report a security vulnerability" option in the
middle which brings you to the private report page on GitHub.
I guess this should be updated too.

Kind regards
Niels