On Tue, Aug 29, 2023, at 1:57 AM, Levi Morrison via internals wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 4:20 AM Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Athos
>>
>> On 8/27/23 04:02, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
>> > I am moving this RFC [1] to the voting phase.  Voting will be open for the
>> > next 2 weeks, until September 10th, as per https://wiki.php.net/rfc.
>> >
>> > [1] https://wiki.php.net/rfc/tempnam-suffix-v2
>> >

>> I find this a useful feature in general, but I believe it not working on
>> Windows completely nullifies the "could even provide more context for
>> software processing such files" argument in favor of this feature. It
>> will be unexpected for users if their code completely fails to work on
>> Windows, because the suffix is ignored.
>>
>> For that reason I voted "no".
>>
>> Best regards
>> Tim Düsterhus
>>
>> --
>

> I have voted no for a similar reason. It would be nice if there were
> os-specific packages in core that handled these kinds of things,
> because the functionality is definitely useful. But if you call an API
> like `FileSystem\Os\Unix\tempnam` then at least the platform specific
> behavior is obvious and understood.

I did as well.  I am in favor of the functionality, but having it silently
not-work on Windows is not a good approach.  That may mean a larger refactoring
of tempnam is a good next step, to fix the issues noted in the RFC and then
support Windows consistently.  I would support that, and including a suffix
either with that or as a follow-up.

(Side note: If messing about there, making prefix optional would also be wise
so that it can be skipped via named args.)

--Larry Garfield