Thank you all for the comments. The naming brought some constructive
discussion.

My preferred solution would be inconsistent PHP_ROUND_AWAY_FROM_ZERO and
PHP_ROUND_TOWARD_ZERO as those are friendlier to the most of developers and
are not possible to mistake with other modes. I would go even one step
further and create aliases for NumberFormatter constants to have the naming
consistent.

> Introducing a brand-new RoundingMode enum (using union types) I
> suggested in my first email would nicely solve the naming problem and
> would also make the API more obvious to use due to stronger typing in
> the long run.

That's also interesting idea and I would push it, however I'm afraid about
the naming of namespace. I recollect some of the RFCs were rejected simply
because of the namespace. If there is a guideline for the namespace of core
functions I would willingly get familiar to it. Otherwise, I don't want to
open Pandora box only because of the namespace of Enum. It would also bring
BC to the function, unless we would accept both enum and old constants.

Kind regards,
Jorg