> > ext/imap
> >
> > The library that provides the functionality in this extension, c-client,
> > is no longer updated. The last release from 2007 is no longer available
> > on the original distributor's (University of Washington) website, but
> > there is an unofficial GitHub repository that hasn't been updated for 5
> > years either (https://github.com/uw-imap/imap).
> >
> > You can't also use this any more with G Suite due to authentication
> > changes (https://github.com/uw-imap/imap/issues/4).
> >
> > There are several user-land packages that are still maintained, and
> > provide superior functionality:
> >
> > - https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer
> > - https://github.com/zetacomponents/Mail/
> > - https://github.com/symfony/mailer
> > - https://github.com/laminas/laminas-mail
> >

> Those alternatives are for sending e-mails. IMAP is for reading
> e-mails. They are not equivalent.
> Am I missing something here?

You are right that PHPMailer, laminas and Symfony Mailer are for
sending emails, but Zeta supports retrieving email over IMAP.

https://packagist.org/packages/webklex/php-imap is a popular and
active alternative as well.

Considering the lack of updates from upstream as Derick mentioned,
lack of OAuth support (which webklex/php-imap supports), and a
somewhat lackluster documentation for ext-imap in php.net, I think
unbundling ext-imap (along with the other extensions in the proposal)
makes sense.