On Thu, 5 Oct 2023, 17:44 Dmitry Stogov, <dmitrysto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Internals,
>
> I've published a presentation about the IR Framework design and
> implementation details.
> See
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/374470404_IR_JIT_Framework_a_base_for_the_next_generation_JIT_for_PHP
> It explains many complex things in simple pictures.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for helping explain things in graphical format. I will for sure
study the material closely.

As for the point around keeping the old JIT around as a safety measure and
fallback.

I think this is an excellent idea and may give good peace of mind and
confidence for new adopters, that they can easily "switch back" to JIT 1.0
if any edge cases occur we didn't find yet in JIT 2.0, without waiting for
future PHP releases (patches) to come out.

It can be months before people get new patched PHP versions (think about
centos or Debian distributions, or Docker images of PHP)

Just like we've done with many things over the years, we first deprecated
something and keep it in the language and in future release we remove it
completely.

Many thanks,
Paul