On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 1:39 AM youkidearitai <youkideari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Many languages like Rust only support UTF-8
> > (https://doc.rust-lang.org/reference/input-format.html), and I don't
> > think any new PHP developers will expect PHP to work with non-UTF8
> > encodings in the first place.
>
> Hi,
>
> PSR-1 is required use UTF-8.
>
> https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-1/
> Files MUST use only UTF-8 without BOM for PHP code.
>
> And, Rust is newer than PHP that is very long history.
> If we were compare in PHP, almost we would compare language same old
> year. Java, Perl, Ruby and Python etc.
> (Java's default encoding is UTF-16).
>
> Therefore, I think we should stay with PSR-1 "MUST use only UTF-8 without
> BOM".
>
> Regards
> Yuya
>
> --

PSR also says that code should use spaces instead of tabs. Should PHP
stop parsing code that uses tabs instead of spaces?

I don't think that PSR has any relevance to this conversation because
it is _too_ opinionated. Sometimes that opinion helps, and sometimes
it gets in the way and stifles innovation and creativity.

Robert Landers
Software Engineer
Utrecht NL