> > I suppose it'd be possible to improve FFI to call the PHP VFS layer to
> > resolve a path, which would handle the phar:// scheme and other schemes.
> > But, I would be worried about potential other downstream impacts - esp.
> > security implications - as this is a novel (to me at least) scenario.

I just realized I never explained the reason for me to wanna use this
feature. My bad.

I have a CLI project that uses FFI and it would be awesome if I could
share it using the micro sfx API[1].

If FFI was supported inside PHARs, we could even create Desktop
applications using tools such as php-tkui[2] and make them available
via the aforementioned SAPI.

Anyway, I just wanted to explain the motive behind my original question. :-D

[1]:
https://github.com/crazywhalecc/static-php-cli/blob/main/README.md#use-micro
[2]: https://github.com/skoro/php-tkui