On Thu, Mar 21, 2024, at 10:54 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2023, Jakub Zelenka wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose a new process RFC for updates to PHP release
>> cycle:
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/release_cycle_update
>
> I have just published version 0.2 of this proposal — I am taken this
> over from Jakub by agreement.
>
> I've slightly reordered it, addressed some comments from this thread,
> and added one new item: aligning the end of releases until Dec 31st,
> 20xx.
>
> Now that we have policy documents, my next step is to prepare PRs to
> https://github.com/php/policies/blob/main/feature-proposals.rst for each
> item, after a more general reset of the document to reflect current
> practises.
>
> The RFC is at https://wiki.php.net/rfc/release_cycle_update

Could this RFC also be a good time to clarify what sort of BC changes are
actually allowed in major and minor releases, or should we save that for a
different RFC? (Because it's already been acknowledged that the current written
policy doesn't align with the practiced policy, and I think it would be nice to
get those in sync.)

Jim