On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 at 21:32, Matteo Beccati <p...@beccati.com> wrote:

> Hi Arvids,
>
> <snip>
>
> It's not clear to me what divergences need to be addressed at the PDO
> level at this point. Could you please shed some light?
>
> Is it just identification? If so, I think the best place to do it is
> some user-land configuration.

I'm no expert in the matter, but here's some stuff I found:
https://aws.amazon.com/compare/the-difference-between-mariadb-vs-mysql/#summary-of-differences-mysql-mariadb
https://www.cloudways.com/blog/mariadb-vs-mysql/#mariadb-vs-mysql

One thing that comes to mind that I run into is that both have a different
set of functions they support to work with JSON objects and they store them
differently.
As time goes on, there are more and more database specific differences.
Again, this is about giving people ability to develop stuff based on PDO
driver subclass, clearly delineating what is supported for what database.
You will not have to look at the code and try to figure out if this works
in MySQL or MariaDB or both - you will be able to see that it uses either
MySQL driver or MariaDB driver.
As far as PDO development goes, it's more of an organisational change.
Larry has given a pretty clear explanation why it's good to have this.
--

Arvīds Godjuks
+371 26 851 664