On Tue, 2024-05-21 at 18:48 -04:00, Bilge <bi...@scriptfusion.com> wrote:
>  >What would be the downside to having all "basic" enumerations actually
> being implicitly "backed" enumerations?

I'm not Larry but I see a lot of value in knowing that a unit value was
explicitly constructed in code, and where the value cannot originate from a
conversion of some input. It is particularly useful when refactoring in a large
codebase to know that every way SomeEnum::A can be constructed will contain an
explicit reference to that case in code.

The uses you suggest are not without merit, of course! And that's why I'm also
grateful for backed enums as an option where they make sense (e.g. for values
which are ultimately stored in a database).

mjec