On 2024-07-09 05:24, Mike Schinkel wrote:
And this sentence is why I chose to reply to your message.  That assumption
itself blocks the needs of user-managed apps.

(Did you happen to read my compare-and-contrast of user-managed vs.
developer-managed apps from a few days ago?)

I feel it is likely those who have never worked professionally in PHP on
user-managed apps like WordPress  — which I assume describes you accurately? —
are probably just simply unaware of the problems that your assumptions cause
for user-managed apps. And yes, some developers have no empathy for others who
have different circumstances, but I honestly don't think you (Rowan) are in the
category.

Just one note here: You keep saying user-managed apps but from what I can tell, these problems really only apply to WordPress.

There are others like Contao CMS who decided as a project they wanted user-managed plugins but also wanted to rely on Composer and its ecosystem of packages, and they made it happen [1].

So while I have some sympathy for all developers stuck maintaining WP sites, and plugin authors not willing to do everything themselves and deciding to bundle a vendor dir with Composer-installed dependencies.. It feels like you're all kinda held hostage with the choices of the WordPress project, which sucks for sure but saying it is unfixable is not helping.

As for the rest of the thread, I feel like everyone needs to take a few days to chill because it's getting a bit heated around here.

Best,
Jordi

[1] https://docs.contao.org/manual/en/installation/contao-manager/

--