On Wed, 10 Jul 2024, Roman Pronskiy wrote:

> 2. Analytics
> It is hard to make any decisions without having a reliable source of
> stats and data. With more than 17,000 pages, updating all of them is
> impractical. Analytics, among other things, will help us prioritize
> updates based on page importance. Using a self-hosted Matomo instance
> seems a viable option for this. Derick Rethans will follow up with
> more details.

I have looked at a few different solutions, and the most reasonsable
seems to self-host a Mamato (formerly Piwik) instance. This means no
analytics data will get send to third parties.

I have set up this instance already (https://analytics.php.net, SSL
certificate not active yet) and also briefly experimented with it.

In order to collect data, we will need to add the following snippet to
php-web:

https://github.com/php/web-php/commit/aef3309d2508b1e1ca0db5c50c829dfdfa7ee24f

By default, nobody (besides me and Roman) would be able to view the
analytics either, but I am open to opening this up for other interested
members of the PHP development team.

I will leave it to Roman to make the case of what sort of information he
would like to obtain, and why.

Opinions?

cheers,
Derick