Hi Gina,

> I agree, this situation is extremely suboptimal.
>
> My understanding as to why people declined the "Change the edge case of
> round()" RFC [1] was because they were worried about the silent change in
> behaviour.
> However, most people seem to have missed the fact, myself included, that
> regardless of it being accepted or not there would have been changes to the
> behaviour.
> As such we have the worst of both worlds, continuing to have incorrect
> floating point semantics for people that rely on proper IEEE 754 floating
> points,
> and yet we still have a silent change in behaviour due to the partial bugfix.
>
> Moreover, these fixes made the implementation of round() more complicated,
> for marginal benefits IMHO.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gina P. Banyard
>
> [1] https://wiki.php.net/rfc/change_the_edge_case_of_round

Opinion on this seems to be more divided than I expected.

I think the fairest approach would be to revert the change that extended the
range of rounding to one more digit and hold a RFC vote.

Note that it doesn't take 2/3 to take down this change, it takes 2/3 to keep
this change.

How do you think?

Regards,

Saki