On Tue, Jul 23, 2024, at 1:42 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2024 at 12:41 PM Gina P. Banyard <intern...@gpb.moe> wrote:
>> Hello internals,
>>
>> I have opened the vote for the mega deprecation RFC:
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecations_php_8_4
>>
>> Reminder, each vote must be submitted individually.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>

>> Gina P. Banyard
>

> The section "Deprecate using a single underscore ''_'' as a class name"
> indicates that probably the primary reason to deprecate it is a
> potential future conflict in the pattern matching RFC, where it can be
> used as a wildcard.
>
> However, I see no mention of this character as a wildcard anywhere in that
> RFC.
>
> Can somebody clarify?

The pattern matching RFC previously listed _ as a wildcard character.

In the discussion a month ago, someone pointed out that `mixed` already serves
that exact purpose, so having an extra wildcard was removed.

However, a few people indicated a desire to have an explicit wildcard _ anyway,
even if it's redundant, as it's a more common and standard approach in other
languages.  We've indicated that we are open to making that an optional
secondary vote in the pattern matching RFC if there's enough interest (it would
be trivial), though I haven't bothered to add it to the RFC text yet.

Having _ available could also be used in other "wildcard" or "ignore this"
cases, like exploding into a list assignment or similar, though I don't believe
that has been fully explored.

That's the context/background here.  Whether that encourages you to vote for or
against that section I leave as an exercise for the reader.

--Larry Garfield