On Thu, Aug 15, 2024, at 18:18, Stephen Reay wrote:

>> On 15 Aug 2024, at 22:22, Rob Landers <rob@bottled.codes> wrote:
>>
>> Hello internals,
>>
>> I've decided to attempt an RFC for function autoloading. After reading
>> hundreds of ancient (and recent) emails relating to the topic along with
>> several abandoned RFCs from the past, and after much review, I've decided to
>> put forth a variation of a previous RFC, as it seemed the least ambitious
>> and the most likely to work:
>>
>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/function_autoloading4
>>
>> Please let me know what you think. An implementation should be along before
>> opening it for a vote (now that I realize how important that is).
>>
>> — Rob
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> I like the simplicity of this, however your RFC doesn't document the changes
> required to `spl_autoload`[1] to allow it to keep working with this new
> functionality.

Ah, good catch. I've updated this and gone through other relevant functions.

> The same issue (unexpected additional argument) potentially affects userland
> autoloaders too, but obviously the individual authors can fix that themselves
> (whether this would count as a BC break is not immediately clear to me)

Userland functions don't throw that error, so it shouldn't be an issue. (You
can pass as many arguments as you want to a userland function, as long as there
are enough of them).

> Slightly tangentially, you may also want to look at a change to
> `spl_autoload_call` to accept a `SPL_AUTOLOAD_*` argument, so that it works
> consistently.

Done.

Thank you Stephen for pointing out this oversight.

> Cheers
>
> Stephen
>
> 1: https://www.php.net/spl_autoload

— Rob